Online Resources for Starting/Running a Home Applied Behavior Analysis Program:
- Ten Common Roadblocks to running Home Based ABA Programs:
- Richard Saffran’s Page “ABA Resources for Recovery from Autism/PDD/Hyperlexia”
- “Teaching Children with Autsim” http://www.polyxo.com/
- “Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies” http://www.behavior.org/ follow the links for ABA and autism.
- Guidelines for choosing an ABA provider (PDF File)
Applied Behavior Analysis Books: Useful Textbooks/Manuals for Running an ABA Program:
- Lynn M. Hamilton, Bernard Rimland. Facing Autism: Giving Parents Reasons for Hope and Guidance for Help (purchase on Amazon)
- A Work in Progress: Behavior Management Strategies & A Curriculum for Intensive Behavioral Treatment of Autism by Ron Leaf, John McEachin, Jaisom D. Harsh, Ronald Burton Leaf – Very good information and is good to use as a compliment to the Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills (purchase on Amazon)
- Sundberg, Mark, L., Ph.D. and Partington, James, W. Ph.D. Teaching Language to Children with Autism or Other Developmental Disabilities (purchase on Amazon)
- Partington, James, W. PhD., and Mark L. Sundberg, Mark, L. PhD. The Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills (ABLLS)
- Lear, K. (2000). Help Us Learn. A Self-paced Training Program for ABA. Toronto: Kathy Lear. http://www.helpuslearn.com/
- Maurice C., Greene G., Luce, S. (1996). Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism: A manual for parents and professionals by 24 contributors. ISBN:0890796831
- Lovaas, O. I. (1981). Teaching Developmentally Disabled Children: The Me Book, Austin, Texas 78757, 1- 512- 451- 3246. ISBN: 0936104783 (paperback, 250 pages, University Park Press, 1981).
- Keenan, M., Kerr, K.P., & Dillenburger, K. (2000). Parent’s education as autism therapists: Applied behaviour analysis in context. London: Jessican Kingsley Publishers.
Applied Behavior Analysis Program Evaluation
- “Evaluating an ABA program”
- “The Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist” developed by Bernard Rimland and Stephen Eldelson from the Autism Research Institute. This checklist can evaluate the effectiveness of intervention. Follow the link to get the checklist, or you can fill it online and print a copy. http://www.autismeval.com/ari-atec/
Some Personal Stories
- Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family’s Triumph over Autism by Catherine Maurice. (New York: Fawcett Columbia, 1993). ISBN: 0449906647 (paperback 371 pages, 1994) (purcahse on Amazon)
On-line e-mail Groups
- “The ME-list”. A great place to post specific ABA questions. A wealth of information and a great archive section too. To sign-up send a message to LISTSERV@IUPUI.EDU and tell them you want to subscribe to the ME-list.
- “ABAParents” a yahoo list serve for parents involved with an ABA program. E-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org. Go to Yahoo website and search for “ABAparents” to subscribe to this list.
- “The Verbal Behaviour List”. Similar to the ME-list, but deals with using ABA to teach verbal behaviour. To subscribe send an email to DTT-NETemail@example.com and in the body and subject heading of the text write the word “subscribe”.
- Schafer Autism Report www.sarnet.org Visit this link to subscribe to news related to autism including: Special Education • Mercury Toxicity • CAN • Vaccines • IDEA • East Coast Conferences • West Coast Conferences • World Conferences • DAN! Conferences • Digestive Enzymes • Autism Research • Genetic Research • Biomedical Research • Behavioral Research • “Spin” Research • Stem Cell Applications • Medical Imaging • Adult Autism Care & Advocacy • Asperger’s Aspirations • Advocacy Network • Latest Discoveries • Neurological Developments • Discussion Lists • Latest Autism Websites • Related Federal and State Legislation • NAAR • Environmental Toxins • Autism in the News • MIND Institute • GFCF Food • Vitamin A • ABA • ARI • ASA • ADHD • NIH • CDC • FDA • B6/Magnesium • Legal and Political Advocacy. Sent to you in a daily online newsletter.
Verbal Behaviour Links
- The Verbal Behavior Network www.verbalbehaviornetwork.com An awesome site with many free downloads and a 53-minute video on verbal behaviour. Highly recommended!
Employment for Adults with Autism
- “Choosing the Right Job for People with Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome” by Temple Grandin
- “Finding work interactive: A DIGITAL WORKBOOK TO HELP AUTISTIC ADULTS WITH JOB SEARCHING AND WORK PREPARATION.” An Interactive ebook. Author: The National Autistic Society. You will need to enter your email address and a link will be sent to you so you can download the ebook.
- Specialisterne, a socially innovative company where the majority of employees have a diagnosis on the autism spectrum. This company has locations around the world including Canada and the US.